In 1998, the American Film Institute (AFI) unveiled a list of the 100 best American movies, as determined by a poll of artists and leaders in the film industry from a list of 400 nominated movies. A 145-minute presentation of the 100 films aired on CBS. A 460-minute version aired as a 10-part series on TNT, hosted by Jodie Foster, Richard Gere, Sally Field and narrated by James Woods. It became a must-watch list for a generation of film buffs who had enjoyed the films when they were released, and a generation of budding film buffs who discovered these masterpieces for the first time. Couples and groups of friends set out to watch every film on the list, and discuss the merits of each. A 10th Anniversary edition of the list was released in 2007, and was a reevaluation of the list. It replaced 23 films from the original list, including four modern additions including “Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring”, “Saving Private Ryan”, “Titanic”, and “The Sixth Sense”. This app encourages you to browse both lists, enjoy the original movie posters, make your own watch list, rate each of the titles, and learn about the directors, actors and writers of these films.
What’s new in this version
This is the first release of the app. We are working hard to add even more features for your and your friends to enjoy, including comparing your ratings to your friends and all users, sharing your viewing and ratings with friends, trailers, adding other AFI lists, and much more.
- Browse the 100 films from the original list.
- Browse the 100 films from the anniversary list.
- Enjoy detailed original movie posters of each film.
- Read a synopsis of each film.
- Learn about the director(s), writer(s), and actors of each film.
- Track which films you have seen.
- Rate each of the films with your own assessment.
- Read the Wikipedia article for each film.
- Check Amazon.com's products for each film.